Halong Bay is situated in the Northeastern part of the country, so the weather has 4 different seasons. To simplify, it can be mainly divided into cold dry winter and hot humid summer.
Winter in Halong Bay lasts from November to March. The colder months are in January and February… not ideal for swimming. The foggy days or strong monsoon are also visible this time. Despite of this season feature, this season is the high season of Halong Bay tourism. The temperature is from 12ºC to 20ºC.
Summer time lasts from May to early September. The Bay is sunny and hot for swimming under clear blue sky. There is light rain in some days and even unexpected typhoon that might cancel your trip. Temperature rises from 25ºC. Summer promotion rate can be found during this time.
Spring ( March, April) and Fall ( September, October) seems to be the best time to visit Halong bay, the weather is cool and you enjoy the best time of the year.
It is fine to visit Halong Bay all year around. Even though there are some unexpected cases leading to trip cancellation. Each season will bring you a different feeling that you will never forget.
However, keep in mind that your trip can be ended suddenly because of uncontrollable weather conditions.It occurs quite often due to the highest safety level of Halong Bay port autorities.
So, why your Halong Bay trip can be cancelled and how can you deal with it?
Receiving the tour cancellation news, all of the passengers are disappointed, so are the operators, but no one can change the situation. It is all for your highest safety.
1. Cancellation news is informed in advance. The trip didn’t start yet from Hanoi.
Contact your travel agents to know cancellation time, when you could get the next trip or any alternative option.
Check your tour booking in your hotel and then find the alternative tour. There are some day trips around Hanoi that you can consider: Hanoi City tour or traditional handy craft village tour, Hoa Lu- Tam Coc / Trang An ( Ninh Binh), Cooking class, Perfume Pagoda tour, Mai Chau. Refund will be made in full by cruise operators and travel agents for the cancelled cruise, unless you are able to reschedule it (subject to availability).
2. Cancellation news is informed when you arrive at Halong Bay. The Halong bay cruise operators will arrange lunch, day trip (if possible) for you and transfer back to Hanoi.
In this case, you can choose to stay in Halong Bay hotel for the next day cruise (not recommended for storm cancellation because bad rainy weather is expected for few days).
Get back to Hanoi and enjoy other alternative tours: Sapa, Hanoi, Ninh Binh…
3. Cancellation news is informed when you are doing trip in the Bay. The trip is shortened, other arrangement will be made by the cruise operators.
If the weather is expected to be better on the next day and you are on the first day of the trip, you will be advised to stay one night in hotel (Halong Bay) then continue your cruise.
If the weather is bad, cruise operator will arrange for you the transfer back to the hotel in Hanoi and you choose yourself for other alternative option.
In those cases, following policies will be applied:
1. If the cancellation is informed before you leave Hanoi to Halong Bay (you have not used any service yet): 100% refund.
2. If the cancellation is informed during the trip, refund will based on service that has been delivered to you (shuttle bus, meals, length of trip…), the rest will be refunded with your agreement.
3. If the trip is cut down from 3 days/2 nights to 2 days/1 night, we will charge as 2 days/1 night trip, plus other services you have already used (shuttle bus, meals, length of trip….) and refund the remain amount.